On Sun, Jan 15, 2023 at 09:38:38AM +0100, Brian Durant wrote:
> The following command will connect a USB MIDI device:
>
> $ midicat -d -q midi/0 -q midithru/0 &
>
> A second device can be connected as follows:
>
> $ midicat -d -q midi/1 -q midithru/1 &
>
> Both output MIDI code in the terminal. (Note that redirecting both MIDI
> devices to midithru/0 doesn’t seem to pipe both devices through, but rather
> only midi/0.) Adding the following command provides a way to convert MIDI
> code to sound using Fluidsynth:

Redirecting two ports to midithru/0 is supposed to work:

$ midicat -d -q midi/0 -q midithru/0   # in one terminal
$ midicat -d -q midi/1 -q midithru/0   # in another terminal

should merge the two inputs. Both terminals should show the events of
the corresponding input. If there's a synth on midithru/0
(ex. fluidsynth command below is running) it will produice sounds for
both inputs.