On 23/02/07 19:57, Digua Dong wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 07, 2023 at 07:09:48PM +1100, Jonathan Gray wrote:
> >
> > You should be using the default modesetting driver with this hardware.
> > Not opting into an old driver that hasn't had a release in years.
> >
> I looked at the log with my configure disabled,
> uhh, it is actually not using intel driver.
>
> (II) modesetting: Driver for Modesetting Kernel Drivers: kms
> (II) modeset(0): [DRI2]   DRI driver: iris
Right, OpenBSD defaults to modesetting(4) unless you specifically tell it to do
otherwise. As jsg said, the modesetting driver is what you should use.

> So the intel driver is no longer developed?
You should avoid intel(4), yes.

> And can I do something to reduce scroll tearing?
If it was anything like my issue, it could be a vsync problem. Desktop
environments will typically take care of this for you (and usually also expose a
setting for it somewhere). Window managers usually don't. I'm guessing that
since you're talking about st that you're using a window manager, but correct me
if I'm wrong.

Anyway, OpenBSD does have a compositor in the base system, xcompmgr(1), but it
doesn't handle vsync. I use spectrwm and I dealt with screen tearing by
installing and configuring picom.

# pkg_add picom

There's a lot you can do with picom, but this is all that should be needed for
now.

$ cat ~/.config/picom/picom.conf
# Resolve screen tearing.
vsync = true;

Go ahead and test picom with that config file interactively first. If it
addresses your issue, you can add `picom -b` to your ~/.xsession.

Here's a video to test screen tearing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MfL_JkcEFbE

P.S. When you'd like to learn more about picom, here's how you can do so. I
found the sample config file with `pkg_info -L picom`.
$ man picom
$ less /usr/local/share/examples/picom/picom.sample.conf