The people on clang architectures need to know that the gcc systems are different, that different decisions have been made. Education is way
more important than consistancy.

I'm all for being educated about differences between architectures. I think the current manual pages don't achieve it in this particular regard. They don't, as far as I see, mention anywhere that there even *are* gcc systems as opposed to clang systems. I've only learned about it from this mailing list and from blog entries by Frederic Cambus.

This manual page is not hurting you.

It does cause confusion (e.g. I see no way to find out from the manual pages on which platforms the GNU assembler is part of the system and on which platforms it is not; removing the man pages for certain platforms might not be the solution, but the problem is real).

Regards
Stanislav

On Fr, 03 Mär 2023 09:43:16 -0700