Hello Johannes,

Firstly, others have written helpful and correct responses, please follow these
suggestions.  Those replies also look perfect and are easy to follow in my
personal mail client (which is Outlook).

For the record, there are members of this community that couldn't care less if
someone top-posts, bottom-posts, inline posts, side-posts, reverse posts,
private posts, 3D posts, Saturn posts, etc. However, this is likely a minority,
and there are community guidelines as others have pointed out.

Personally, my responses are usually focussed responses to a particular
question/comment (which I often put in quotation marks because I don't care for
the ">" everywhere, I mean, we're still allowed to have preferences) or fairly
extensive rants, which are comprehensive responses to the whole topic/thread.
Speaking of standardizing every aspect of the netiquette on the mailing list,
can we please reserve quotation marks for actual quotations and use apostrophes
instead for 'random use'? (I'm joking, but this standardization of email
exchange can become a slippery slope).

I'm not saying that these approaches are correct or condoning them, but they
have not gotten me into horrible trouble (and I'm a member of many OSS mailing
lists) and have still allowed for helpful engagement.  This likely says
something very positive about the communities.  Again, I am not condoning this.

We all use different mail clients.  What I find annoying, and it is no one's
fault here (well, it actually could be, but I'm not going to point any
fingers), are mailing-list emails where all I see is three horizontal dots when
I open the message (see: Claudio Jeker's response to the "Folks are there any
tips to improve page load times on smokeping running on OpenBSD" thread in
Outlook).  I realize this is my mail client.  It is a correct way of doing
e-mail correspondence.  Still, as with many things, MS has made it incredibly
annoying.

Sincerely,
Katie