Divan Santana <di...@santanas.co.za> writes:

> Greetings friends :)
>
> In short MS teams works via chrome on openbsd7.2 for me except for the
> camera.
>
> (The camera with webrtc works fine for other sites, just not teams)
>
> The screen share too works, but not the camera.  It detects the camera,
> but when you try switch it on, it remains black.
>
> Firefox has a range of other issues and various workarounds that work
> for some don't work on my testing.
>
> Anyway, I'm pretty sure a workaround to get teams video to work via
> chrome on openbsd is to create a virtual camera with a res up to 720p
> and make chrome use that (or buy another camera).  It seems anything
> higher, and teams has an issue with it.
>
> It's reported that on Linux one can do this via:
>
> ```
> apt install v4l2loopback-dkms
> modprobe v4l2loopback
>
> ffmpeg -f v4l2 -i /dev/video0 -vf format=yuv420p,scale=1280x720 -f v4l2
> /dev/video1
> ```
>
> Would someone know the steps to do this on OpenBSD (if possible)?

Just an update on this (using teams on openbsd):

I finally have teams working close to perfect (or certainly good enough
- for now anyway) on openbsd 7.2.

Some problems and solutions to share with others.
(the problems are with ms teams, not openbsd, no doubt)

1) screensharing doesn't work in firefox (and firefox-esr).  Yes the
readme says disable pledge.  That still doesn't fix screensharing, but
does prevent it from crashing.
Besides screen sharing, I find the audio out, microphone to work without
issues.  The camera "just works" better with teams via firefox then
chrome, generally.

2) with teams via chrome, I find the audio doesn't always work.  I've
seen once that output.mute was set to 1.  Not sure how, but checking
that is good.  But the main issue I find consistently that the audio
doesn't work, until I mute the tab and then unmute the tab again.  Then
the sound works perfectly fine.  So generally for calls or meetings, I
just mute and unmute the tab to work around this.  Not too bad.  I
tested this on a fresh openbsd 7.3 system with chrome, but it had the
same issue.

3) Screensharing and the microphone seem to work reliably in chrome.

4) The camera in chrome is problematic.  If the camera works in other
webrtc systems like zoom, jitsi etc, doesn't mean it will work in teams.
I find, you need a low megapixel camera, then the camera works without
issues in teams.

I had a usb logitech C310.  Works perfectly everywhere except in teams.
A usb logitech C270 which has lower specs resolves the issue.

So in summary:

- use chrome for teams
- get a low res camera that works in openbsd
- if no audio, mute and unmute the tab