On 2023-05-12 03:24, Marcus MERIGHI wrote:

Hello,

gene...@nativemethods.com (J Doe), 2023.05.12 (Fri) 04:47 (CEST):
I was configuring Samba on my OpenBSD 7.2 server and wanted to support
iOS/iPad OS and macOS clients.

The documentation for Samba states that the following vfs options are
required to support these clients:

     /etc/samba/smb.conf
         . . .
         vfs = catia fruit streams_xattr

I run a Samba server that does not have these options set - but
successfully serves iOS/macOS clients.

Apart from that, smb.conf(5) does not have the parameter "vfs", only
"vfs object"/"vfs objects" (which are aliases).

Marcus

Hi Marcus,

Yes, you are correct.  That line should have been:

    /etc/samba/smb.conf
        [global]
            vfs objects = catia fruit streams_xattr
                . . .

In regards to running Samba without the: fruit vfs module for Apple clients, what version of macOS/iOS/iPad OS are your clients running ? I have found that running a current version of macOS (Ventura 13.3.1 (a)) and using the TextEdit app to save to the Samba share does *not* work in an install *without* fruit (I tested a Samba config with: fruit on a Ubuntu VM for comparison)

- J