This error is coming back from uvisor.c which is part of the Kernel. The
init function is there to initialise the device and get the USB Serial
endpoints back... I recently fixed this for a range of Sony CLIE devices but
that fix was Sony vendor code specific and wouldn't touch this device.

There are essentially two commands performed for most init scenarios
depending upon the device type that the palm device maps as... either a
vendor command 3 for VISOR type devices or a vendor command 4 for PALM4 type
devices... this is selected from a table of device mappings in the uvisor
driver.

If these commands fail you normally see a stalled message coming back from
init.

The uvisor driver then typically goes on to query the free space of the
device and this command on the Sony CLIE returns a TIMEOUT so it is possible
that is what is happening here.

I don't actually have a LifeDrive but would suggest that if anyone has one
they take a look at the uvisor.c source and try quitting the init function
before the Free Space check.. I know for a fact that the free space checks
on the CLIE put the USB Serial endpoints to sleep anyway which is why in my
patch once a CLIE is detected we skip these checks.

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/sys/dev/usb/uvisor.c

pilot-link is a different matter, it will probably work once the USB Serial
mapping is up across cuaUxx.

-Andy