On 2023-07-18, mabi <m...@protonmail.ch> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> From the following documentation, I am trying to figure out which PF tracking
> options are also valid for UDP but unfortunately it is not quite clear to me:
>
> https://man.openbsd.org/pf.conf.5#Stateful_Tracking_Options
>
> My goal would be to do add rate limiting options to a PF UDP pass rule in
> order to limit DDoS/DoS attacks on port 53.
>
> Interesting would be especially the "max-src-states" option. Is this option
> also valid for UDP?
>
> Is it also possible to use the "overload" option with UDP in order to add
> source IPs into a table of attackers which I will then block?

PF's state-tracking options are only for TCP. (Blocking an IP
based on number of connections from easily spoofed UDP is a good
way to let third parties prevent your machine from communicating
with IPs that may well get in the way i.e. trigger a "self DoS").

You may be interested in looking into L7 methods of mitigating
problems from high rates of DNS queries - for example dnsdist
allows a lot of flexibility in this area.