On 2023-07-25, Johannes Thyssen Tishman <li...@thyssentishman.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a vps running OpenBSD 7.3 STABLE amd64 and I have a cronjob that runs
> once a day to install new errata patches (if available) and reboot after
> patching. With the last errata patches (amd firmware, wscons) I realized (too
> late) that I should've followed the steps described on the errata file before
> the system was rebooted. Luckily (I suppose) the server was able to boot, so I
> ran fw_update and installboot and rebooted again. Now even though everything
> seems to be running just fine, I wanted to make sure by asking here:
>
> 1. Could there be negative consequences of not running fw_update or
> installboot
> before reboot?

It means that you don't get the microcode updates, if any are available
for your cpu.

> 2. If no, is it still bad practice to run 'syspatch && reboot' as a cronjob?

It depends whether you want to review patches before installing them, for
example to assess whether they're applicable to you, or the potential risk of
them breaking something. For some machines I do use automatic updates (usually
when there are multiple machines running a service so it doesn't matter if one
is down for a bit), for others it would be more of a problem if it didn't
come back up nicely afterwards and there I'd prefer to run it by hand.

> 3. fw_update did not install anything. Is this a consequence of the early
> reboot? Or is this perhaps the reason why the system was able to boot after
> the
> patch?

For this recent erratum,

1) syspatch needs to be run to pick up the fw_update change (so that
it knows to pick up the new amd-firmware package for AMD cpus), and so
the new boot loaders with the AMD microcode loader are installed to
/usr/mdec.

2) you must have an AMD CPU in order for that to match in fw_update anyway
(matching the usual CPU identifier strings used by AMD on their processors).

3) the 'live' boot loader must be updated from /usr/mdec files via
installboot.

> cpu0 at mainbus0: apid 0 (boot processor)
> cpu0: QEMU Virtual CPU version 2.5+, 2844.97 MHz, 06-06-03
> cpu0:
> FPU,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CFLUSH,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2,SSE3,CX16,x2APIC,HV,NXE,LONG,LAHF

regardless of whether the physical CPU on your VM host is an affected AMD,
this string won't match what fw_update is looking for, so the microcode
"firmware" package won't be installed anyway.

(also for the case of a VM, microcode loading would be done by the VM host
not the guest)