On Wed, Sep 13, 2023 at 8:35 PM Stuart Henderson <stu.li...@spacehopper.org>
wrote:

> On 2023-09-13, Andrew Lemin <andrew.le...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have noticed another issue while trying to implement a 'prio'-only
> > workaround (using only prio ordering for inter-VLAN traffic, and HSFC
> > queuing for internet traffic);
> > It is not possible to have internal inter-vlan traffic be solely priority
> > ordered with 'set prio', as the existence of 'queue' definitions on the
> > same internal vlan interfaces (required for internet flows), demands one
> > leaf queue be set as 'default'. Thus forcing all inter-vlan traffic into
> > the 'default' queue despite queuing not being wanted, and so
> > unintentionally clamping all internal traffic to 4294M just because full
> > queuing is needed for internet traffic.
>
> If you enable queueing on an interface all traffic sent via that
> interface goes via one queue or another.

Yes, that is indeed the very problem. Queueing is enabled on the inside
interfaces, with bandwidth values set slightly below the ISP capacities
(multiple ISP links as well), so that all things work well for all internal
users.
However this means that inter-vlan traffic from client networks to server
networks are restricted to 4294Mbps for no reason.. It would make a huge
difference to be able to allow local traffic to flow without being
queued/restircted.

> (also, AIUI the correct place for queues is on the physical interface
> not the vlan, since that's where the bottleneck is... you can assign
> traffic to a queue name as it comes in on the vlan but I believe the
> actual queue definition should be on the physical iface).

Hehe yes I know. Thanks for sharing though.
I actually have very specific reasons for doing this (queues on the VLAN
ifaces rather than phy) as there are multiple ISP connections for multiple
VLANs, so the VLAN queues are set to restrict for the relevant ISP link etc.

> "required for internet flows" - depends on your network layout.. the
> upstream feed doesn't have to go via the same interface as inter-vlan
> traffic.

I'm not sure what you mean. All the internal networks/vlans are connected
to local switches, and the switches have trunk to the firewall which hosts
the default gateway for the VLANs and does inter-vlan routing.
So all the clients go through the same VLANs/trunk/gateway for inter-vlan
as they do for internet. Strict L3/4 filtering is required on inter-vlan
traffic.
I am honestly looking for support to recognise that this is a correct,
valid and common setup, and so there is a genuine need to allow flows to
not be queued on interfaces that have queues (which has many potential
applications for many use cases, not just mine - so should be of interest
to the developers?).

Do you know why there has to be a default queue? Yes I know that traffic
excluded from queues would take from the same interface the queueing is
trying to manage, and potentially causes congestion. However with 10Gbps
networking which is beyond common now, this does not matter when the queues
are stuck at 4294Mbps

Desperately trying to find workarounds that appeal.. Surely the need is a
no brainer, and it is just a case of trying to encourage interest from a
developer?

Thanks :)