Peter wrote:
--- Joachim Schipper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[snip]

Do you usually assign static IPs?

Yes, on a small LAN such as this - why not? It cuts out one bad idea
(DHCP), and does not have any disadvantages I can see. Except maybe
that
you need to update the DNS server(s) on all the Windows boxes if it
changes. And yes, that's happened to me...

Why is DHCP a bad idea?

--
Peter

Perhaps I should also explain the reason for my original post. There is a lot of choice, which is a good thing for the well informed. While there can never be "the right way", I don't see a lot of material out there that describes "the most common way" to deal with the typical scenarios.