Il 24/10/2023 12:22, Claudio Jeker ha scritto:
On Mon, Oct 23, 2023 at 06:08:37PM +0200, tetrosalame wrote:
Hello misc,

I'm playing with rdomain/rtable on OpenBSD 7.4 and I'm a bit confused about
the relation between rdomains and rtables.

If I got rdomain(4) right, the two facilities are designed so that a rdomain
can hold 0-255 rtables. Even rdomain 0 -no rdomain configured- can hold
several rtables. IP addresses can overlap if configured in different
rdomains.

No, this is not right. rtables are part of rdomains. So rdomain 0 has
rtable 0. rdomain 1 uses rtable 1. rdomain 2 uses rtable 2 and so on.

[...]

This is a wrong view. The system has 255 rtables. You can make an rtable
an rdomain when the rtable is using itself to lookup link local addresses.

So the visualisation is the other way around:

rtable 0 => rdomain 0
rtable 1 => rdomain 1
rtable 2 => rdomain 2
rtable 42 => rdomain 0

In this case the tables 0, 1, 2 are rdomains while table 42 is just an
alternate routing table for rdomain 0.

Thank you for your explanation, much appreciated. Time to trash my fine handwritten diagrams and start over drawing I guess...I couldn't be more wrong.