Bruno Carnazzi wrote:
      Hi all,

Why not use soft update as a default for created file system on
install ? It seems to be a good practice, no ?

Well...assuming you:
  * Have some extra RAM to spare.
  * Don't mind added complexity
  * aren't running on a Sun4c

sure, soft updates are a fine idea for most people to use on most of their systems.

However, no one's system is broke because of not having softdeps on. No one's system will crash because of no softdeps.

Softdeps is an added complexity. You don't add complexity and get a more solid result.

IF you always want softdeps on the systems you work with, it is two lines of shell script in a siteXX.tgz file (or less if you know what you are doing, or more if you know of some edge cases I didn't think of). However, I don't think it will be defaulting to "on" anytime in the next release (and probably not the one after that). :)

Nick.