On 2023-11-27, Devin Reade <g...@gno.org> wrote:
> Once running snapshots, I initially configured the network for dwqe0.
> It came up and I was able to ping hosts on the dwqe0 network, but
> I noticed that carrier state seemed unpredictable.  I then deleted
> hostname.dwqe0 and started trying to determine behavior based only on
> ifconfig status and media values.   In short, things seem to be
> quite unpredicable.  Some sample trials are shown, below:
[..]

I don't know enough about it to go into detail, but these sort of symptoms
are making me think of issues with the PHY driver rather than the nic driver.

> dwqe0 at pci0 dev 29 function 1 "Intel Elkhart Lake Ethernet" rev 0x11: rev
> 0x52, address 84:8b:cd:4d:b5:f6
> ukphy0 at dwqe0 phy 1: Generic IEEE 802.3u media interface, rev. 3: OUI
> 0x19f277, model 0x0030
> dwqe1 at pci0 dev 29 function 2 "Intel Elkhart Lake Ethernet" rev 0x11: rev
> 0x52, address 84:8b:cd:4d:bc:36
> ukphy1 at dwqe1 phy 1: Generic IEEE 802.3u media interface, rev. 3: OUI
> 0x19f277, model 0x0030

No idea whether there might be a better phy driver to start from, nothing
shows up in searches for that OUI. Maybe there are clues in linux dmesg or
mii tools.