> This is not the end of the world, but it feels like it should be possible
> to have a boot.conf somewhere other than the 'a' partition. Is it?

you may have to compile your own bootloader. you just need someone to give
you the patch needed to default you to partition l.
steps:
*apply your patch*
cd /usr/src/sys/arch/amd64/stand/efiboot/bootx64
make
doas make install
doas installboot hd0

> Is it possible to have a conf file in the EFI partition alongside the
> bootloader itself?

I looked at the .so file that builds the .EFI and I didn't see anything
about msdos file system. I only saw things like: cd9660 nfs ufs ufs2 tftp.
It may be possible if you compiled in msdos support to read in your config
from your EFI partition. I would like that feature.

-alfred