On Tue, Dec 5, 2023 at 10:27 AM F Bax <fbax...@gmail.com> wrote:

> A couple of email addresses on my OpenBSD server are forwarded to microsoft
> domains. For quite some time; this has worked flawlessly. Recently
> something changed. Now, an email sent from sendgrid.com to my server
> results in a bounced message from outlook.com with this error.
>
> received-spf: Fail (protection.outlook.com: domain of
> u3352509.wl010.sendgrid.net does not designate 64.140.xxx.yyy as permitted
> sender) receiver=protection.outlook.com; client-ip=64.140.xxx.yyy; helo=
> myserver.ca;
>
> Where xxx,yyy & myserver hide real values.
> It seems outlook.com believes my server is "sending" email for sendgrid;
> whereas originating server is valid and my server is just forwarding.
> Anyone else encounter this situation; is there a way to resolve this?

I would suspect that this is because you unwittingly are - if the
email gets forwarded as is rather than changing the To: field in
transit, the email goes out as
"bounce+blahblahhardtofilterbulls...@u3352509.wl010.sendgrid.net"
rather than something like "postmas...@myserver.ca", triggering
Sendgrid's SPF protection. I'm guessing Outlook Online/MS364 is being
more aggressive in SPF checks now.

As for a way to resolve, that may depend on your MTA (base or one from
ports? Not a safe assumption to make), but as I'm not doing this or
using an MTA on OpenBSD, I'm not at a liberty to say.

--
Aaron Mason - Programmer, open source addict
I've taken my software vows - for beta or for worse