Centuries ago, Nostradamus predicted that Robert Palm would write on Fri Dec 15
15:10:58 2023:

> I am playing with UTF-8 characters and try to display, e.g. a lock
> symbol https://www.compart.com/en/unicode/U+1F512
>
> I use xfce and set the terminal default character encoding to UTF-8 in
> advanced settings.
>
> Still I cannot get it displayed in xterm or emacs, e.g. by simply
> trying to copy paste from the website :-/
>
> Emacs gives a box and xterm a blank.

Does your version of xterm support UTF-8?  Uxterm was originally the
version of xterm that supported UTF-8.  That was a long time ago; on
my system, xterm now also supports UTF-8.  Maybe on your system you
have to install uxterm.

                        Jay F. Shachter
                        6424 North Whipple Street
                        Chicago IL  60645-4111
                                (1-773)7613784   landline
                                (1-410)9964737   GoogleVoice
                                j...@m5.chicago.il.us
                                http://m5.chicago.il.us

                        "Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur"