On Sat, 16 Dec 2023 10:25:07 -0000 (UTC)
Stuart Henderson <stu.li...@spacehopper.org> wrote:

> See "probability" in pf.conf(5).

Thank you for the tip.

My test ruleset:

---start---
block log all

pass in on em0 from (em0:network) to <private>
pass in on em0 from (em0:network) to <public>  probability 50% rtable 1
pass in on em0 from (em0:network) to <public>  probability 50% rtable 2

pass out on em0
pass out on em1
pass out on em2
---end---

... somewhat works, in a way that sessions from lan host to <public> do
get load balanced to both rtables most of the time. However, some of
the sessions to <public> (I tested with ssh) get denied by default
block rule initially:

block in on em0: PR.IV.AT.E.35528 > PU.BL.I.C.22: tcp 0 (DF) [tos 0x48]

and then, on consequent automatic ssh retry after a few seconds, get
moved to one of two rtables.

>From above I conclude that the two rules of 50% do not make a total of
100% in pf's logic, and there are situations where a packet won't be
passed by any of the two. That unfortunately won't work for my use case.

Or perhaps I'm configuring something wrong?

Best regards,

After  enlightenment - chop wood, draw water.

Marko Cupać
https://www.mimar.rs/