On Tue, Jan 09, 2024 at 05:14:47AM +0000, Valdrin MUJA wrote:
> I've got a question about TSO and LRO:
>
> How does enabling TSO and/or LRO on the Ethernet cards of a network
> device that will serve as a router and firewall affect the forward
> traffic of users accessing the internet behind this device?

LRO will merge several receiving packets together by hardware.  Later
on the outgoing path, TSO will be used to split them intro peaces of
max. mss size.

Thus, TCP segments will be reformed be these features.

TSO alone does not affect routing.  Without LRO, TSO is just used for
traffic initiated by your router.

> In short, should I keep these features on or turn them off in my OpenBSD
> firewall?
> What is the OpenBSD recommendation?

I recommend to keep it turned on.

Just turn it off, if you case of errors.  When you have issues which you
can fix by turning it off, just send us a bug report.

bye,
Jan