Thanks for taking a shot at this!

I fiddled with the few options this AP has related to the 5GHz mode, nothing
special, really (channel width, number, mode). Interestingly enough, the AP
says its Country is set to 'EU' (whatever that means) - can't grasp why it
would report 'US', though.

Anyway, thanks again, I'll just leave it at that and use 2.4GHz.

Daniel