Dear colleagues,

A printer doesn't need internet access, and that is why I can block
the internet access. The printer on the white network a label printer
that just works. The other printer is a laser printer connected by USB
to an Ubuntu computer on the white network, because that was easier than
getting it working on OpenBSD; the same goes for the scanner. If only
I had the right plug for my matrix printer, then maybe I would not need
such complexity. Alas, they don't make matrix printers and parallel
ports like they used to.

Anyway, I return to my original inquiry.

My barrier machine is indeed my primary gateway/firewall.

I have configured the it in the way Brian and Nick recommended, except
I added magic routes proposed by All, and it works as I want.

I remain curious as to why it was necessary. Could someone explain
my flaw in reasoning? Aside from setting those routes by DHCP, I am
using vanila routes. In particular, the default route on the other
computers is the barrier machine.

With great humility,
Ibsen