On Thu, 14 Mar 2024 11:41:22 +0100
Stefan Sperling <s...@stsp.name> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 14, 2024 at 12:01:40AM -0400, Stefan Moran via misc wrote:
> > On Wed, 13 Mar 2024 20:58:12 +0100
> > Stefan Sperling <s...@stsp.name> wrote:

> > > iwm should work just fine.
> >
> > I don't doubt it. I did some more research on my device (Intel AC
> > 7260, should have put it in my original message but I forgot to),
> > and it doesn't support MU-MIMO, which the router in the residence
> > I'm staying was set to use.
>
> Interesting. This could be an interop issue, though in general the
> AP should be backwards compatible with 11ac MIMO.
>
> There is a flag you can use to disable the use of MIMO in the driver:
>
>   ifconfig iwm0 nwflag nomimo
>
> This flag is generally only required if the second antenna is absent
> or damaged. Neither the driver nor firmware attempt to detect "dead"
> antennas. Apparently, this is too difficult to do reliably.

I notice the black antenna wire is very loose no matter how well I
connect it, so it could very well be an antenna issue, I could try
disconnecting it intentionally and see if my issues are the same to
verify.

> > I got the admin to disable this on the router, and it
> > seems to be working better.
>
> And the router is still using regular MIMO now?

Yes.

> Plesae run this while associated:
>
>   tcpdump -n -i iwm0 -y IEEE802_11_RADIO -v -s 4096 type mgt subtype
> beacon
>
> And show the following fields:
>
>   htcaps=<...> htop=<...> vhtcaps=<...> vhtop=<...>

htcaps=<20/40MHz,LDPC,SGI@20MHz,SGI@40MHz,TXSTBC,RXSTBC 1 stream,A-MSDU
7935,A-MPDU max 65535,A-MPDU spacing 4.00us,RxMCS 0xffff0000000000000000>

htop=<40MHz chan 149:153,htprot 20MHz,non-greenfield STA,non-HT STA,basic MCS
set 0x0000000000000000>

vhtcaps=<max MPDU 7991,80MHz,LDPC,SGI@80MHz,TxSTBC,RxSTBC 1 stream,beamformer
STS 1,beamformee STS 3,max A-MPDU 1024K,linkadapt MRQ MFB,RxMCS 0-9@1SS
0-9@2SS,TxMCS 0-9@1SS 0-9@2SS>