On Thu, Apr 11, 2024 at 10:10:20AM +0200, Eivind Eide wrote:
It is possible that I have missed important context here, but with a
bare environment with only essentials like $HOME defined and no
~/.terminfo directory (as opposed to an empty one), do the odd messages
still appear?

After
rm -rf ~/.terminfo/
the message is gone (regardless of environmental variables).

FWIW I'm getting a lot more of the same messages without ~/.terminfo
than with.

I'm using kitty (the terminal) to log into openbsd using ssh, and I've
been distributing ~/.terminfo/x/xterm-kitty (and using
TERM=xterm-kitty).

Starting with 7.5 I was suddenly seeing weird characters appear when
using tmux (where TERM=tmux-256color) on openbsd. Copying
/usr/share/terminfo/t/tmux-256color to ~/.terminfo/t/tmux-256color
seemed to solved this.

With this setup I've been seeing maybe 2x 'sh: vfprintf %s NULL in
"%.*s"' in /var/log/messages a day. Removing ~/.terminfo entirely (and
installing kitty so I have a working terminfo) immediately started
throwing *a lot* more of those lines into /var/log/messages, with a lot
of other prefixes.

The messages stop again if I copy back ~/.terminfo/x/xterm-kitty (and
t/tmux-256color when using tmux), though I'll probably still get the
occasional one, as before.

--
Dennis Eriksen