On 2024-04-25, Chris Petrik <cpet...@proton.me> wrote:
> Remember softraid isn't the same as hw raid and I will always chose hw over
> soft this includes zfs.

There are advantages and disadvantages for both. e.g. a software
setup with multiple disk controllers can, if there's support for data
error detection[1], protect against (or at least detect) errors on the
hardware->cpu path which might not be noticable on a single hw raid
controller. And in the event of controller/motherboard failure it might
not be possible to attach drives to another machine (unless a suitable
spare is at hand) with hw raid, whereas with sw they could often just be
moved.

[1] yes I know OpenBSD softraid(4) doesn't do it, but some others do