On Sun, Apr 28, 2024, at 4:17 PM, Mihai Popescu wrote:
> > Any ideas if it's remediable or where to start digging?
>
> Linux has drivers for devices shutdown when not used and idle power
> states, pretty much like Windows has. Android, who is Linux derived,
> took this concept to a much higher level.
> Think of a wireless card and you can see on man ath(4): " The driver
> does not fully enable power-save operation of the chip; consequently
> power use is suboptimal." This is one of the simplest example.

My BIOS allows me to disable the wireless and three other ports (External I/O,
WIFI/Bluetooth, Finger Print, Camera). I turned all of these off and did notice
a change but it was only about 1.5-2W out of the ~10W

> Next, your CPU has performance cores and efficient cores. The thread
> per CPU allocation on Linux is on work but it is more advanced.

My BIOS also allows me to disable cores, but requires me to keep at least one
efficiency and one performance. I did this and the kernel threads dropped to
three but I didn't notice any power change. In fact, power usage seemed to go
up slightly but not much.

Is that expected and this is still a viable path for digging?