Suppose I want to add a custom patch to a release system (backport patch from
current and compile on release),
but keep the system able to load more official syspatches:

is it enough to put the relevant new object file (say pf.o) in
/usr/share/relink/kernel/GENERIC.MP/
and just do reorder_kernel?

The new object will come from manually compiling release sources kernel with
specific patch backported from current (on another machine).

I took for example syspatch74-009_pf.tgz

Apart from the pf.o I also see vers.o and gap.o
Should I also provide a new gap.o? I don't understand what this does.

In Makefile I see
newbsd:
   ${MAKE_GAP}
   ${SYSTEM_LD_HEAD}
   ${SYSTEM_LD} swapgeneric.o
   ${SYSTEM_LD_TAIL}
   rm -f bsd.gdb
   mv -f newbsd bsd

so makegap.sh is run from ${MAKE_GAP} which seems to provide a new gap.o

Thanks,