i'm sorry, i'm not smart, but i have a several questions. imagine that we
launch a ship far into space. we have only one communication channel with this
ship, and one day, when the ship is already very far away from us,
communication channel stops working because the person who wrote the software
for this is a painter and he has a special, different view of things from us.
this painter believes that everyone should have a skull of a strictly defined
size, read only books approved by him and shout "heil hitler!". maybe this
person is right, we can discuss about this in syslog.. but don't you think it's
wiser to do this only after we have a communication with the ship? i'm not very
smart, but i expect sshd to steal, to kill, to fuck geese, but will be starting
up on this ship, but what i don't expect is that "/var/empty must be owned by
root and not group or world-writable" will cause me to lose contact with the
ship.

ps: startx complained about the lack of rights(by the way, xenocara does not
compile on 7.5, but it doesn’t matter, i didn’t really want to), i gave the
rights, looked at what had changed, but did not return the rights back and
rebooted.
pps: you can do it like with hostname.*- this is also fascism, but not fatal.
and let's cut syslog out of the tree, because obviously no one needs it