Justin Yates Fletcher <jyfletc...@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> Occasionally when I start a VM (Alpine v3.19) the host computer freezes
> solid and requires a hard power off.
>
> It is not consistent but it does seem more stable when I have fewer
> things running on the computer. If I have a desktop running, web
> browser, video player, editor, etc. then starting a VM seems to cause
> the freeze more often... I can't say that with certainty though but
> maybe I am running into some kernel limit?
>
> The computer is running -current but the issue has been there since I
> first installed OpenBSD on the computer with the 7.5 release.
>
> Any input on how to debug this? Or other pointers?

The freeze could be the kernel panicking. If you're running X at the
time, you will most likely not see the panic message or ddb prompt.

If you're able to reproduce this consistently, try switching to another
console (e.g. alt-ctrl-F1) and starting the vm there. That way if
there's a panic you should see it and we can better dig into the issue.

> dmesg, vm.conf, and sysctl.conf attached.

I didn't see anything abnormal in dmesg or vm.conf. I'm not familiar
with the sysv_shmem kernel stuff, so no idea if those settings make
sense.

-dv