On Wed, Jun 19, 2024 at 06:18:26PM +0200, Dan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm here asking for an epub ebook reader port as Foliate (almost
> under my XFCE) appears broken from a while and Calibre is not
> exactly a light ebook reader.

I quite often open (i.e. view-open, not edit-open) epubs inside emacs
(from directory view mode, using "v" to view the file) editor, with
nov package installed. This is stated in the file nov.el:

;; nov.el provides a major mode for reading EPUB documents.
;;
;; Features:
;;
;; - Basic navigation (jump to TOC, previous/next chapter)
;; - Remembering and restoring the last read position
;; - Jump to next chapter when scrolling beyond end
;; - Storing and following Org links to EPUB files
;; - Renders EPUB2 (.ncx) and EPUB3 (<nav>) TOCs
;; - Hyperlinks to internal and external targets
;; - Supports textual and image documents
;; - Info-style history navigation
;; - Metadata display
;; - Image rescaling

Also, if you have pandoc installed (I do), you could do something
like:

    pandoc -r epub path-to/The_Exege.epub -w plain | less

Pandoc is a multitool for dealing with all kind of borked situations
involving my e-ink reader, whose software gets, in my opinion,
increasingly fscked. As sign of, probably, developers not eating their
own dogfood, but instead, as workday ends, opening their beer and
android app and enjoing themselves. Rather than reading a damn book
with their own software. So I end up converting each problematic epub
into fb2 format, because this gives me the least problems.

--
Regards,
Tomasz Rola

** Tomasz Rola          mailto:tomasz_r...@bigfoot.com             **