On 6/23/24 09:40, Anon Loli wrote:
Installer medium is a BD-RE(I think) CD, everything worked up until this error
while installing fileset base75.tgz:
"Installing base75.tgz 100% |***..**| 408 MB..
gzip: stdin: crc error

That's pretty clear.

tar: End of archive volume 1 reached
tar: Premature end of file on archive red
Installation of base75.tgz failed. Continue anyway? [no]

The destination medium is a nvme ssd, with FDE, it has a very fast
CPU, 16GB RAM, etc., the deviations from the installer defaults are as follows:
- did a DD of /dev/urandom on the same disk
- custom partitioning scheme, /root is the a partition

I did verify the install medium with signify, etc.

did you verify the install MEDIUM, or the install image file?
Big difference.

The way I wrote to the disc was by using cdrecord, writing mode was DAO

And the fact that you got that far indicates your basic process
was correct.

I didn't continue, and it again asked for pathname to sets and stuff, and I
repeated the installing process again (without rebooting or anyhting), and now
comp75 failed, same error, but this time it defaulted to "done" on file sets
location and I didn't notice thats right away, so I didn't get to see if it'd
continue

The system won't run without baseXX.tgz, so skipping it is not a good
thing.  compXX.tgz can be skipped and installed post boot.  Not a good
thing, but recoverable post-install.

on the next reboot, I only did the partitioning scheme deviation

Now the error message is the exact same, except after "volume 1 reached" now it
says
"tar: Failed seek on file ./var/yp/README: Invalid argument
so I went to redo the installation of base75 again just as last boot, and now I
got this when base75.tgz was at 97% installated:
"...ETAtar: Invalid header, starting valid header search."
...base75.tgz 100%...
(and then the 1st error message repeated)

I'll abort this and install via USB instead because I have to do something
that's time sensitive

You have an issue in the CD creation process.  Either your burner is bad,
your media is damaged, or the reader is bad.  I've seen all three, lots of
times.  Be glad you got the error...back in the olden days, I had a drive
that would happily install every Novell Netware file on a server...but most
were corrupted.

Nick.