On 7/2/24 06:15, 04-psyche.tot...@icloud.com wrote:
Hi all,
I have removed my second drive away from /etc/fstab and I am now manually
mounting it as neede
I believe this means there is no automatic fsck check ran, and that feels like
a bad thing.
I was thinking I should run the same fsck check when I manually mount my drive.
How can I manually run a fast fsck check, equal to what is performed at boot
time?
I tried fsck -n and fsck -p but both of these are way too long, whereas the
boot check is fast.
Thanks!
The boot check is fast if the filesystem is marked clean.
This is only true if it has been unmounted in normal operation
or at an orderly shutdown.
A filesystem mounted read-only is normally marked clean.
A filesystem mounted read/write will always need fsck
after a system crash.
fsck can only mark a filesystem clean when it is run on a
filesystem which is not mounted.

I have multi-terabyte filesystems holding music, video, or images which
only change once a month or less.
Those are marked read-only in /etc/fstab.
I mount -u -o rw when needed, then mount -u -o ro when I am done.

This does not work for /usr, /var, /home etc.

Geoff Steckel