Hello,

I wanted to report an issue with OpenBSD”s iavf driver that started to occur after updating the firmware of my Intel X710 NIC from version 9.40 to 9.50 using intel’s nvmupdate utility. After the update all OpenBSD guests have lost network connectivity on iavf<x> interfaces.

I tried the following to get it back up running:
- Installing all available updates on the hypervisor, proxmox 8.2 (kernel 6.5.13-5-pve) - Compiling the latest available i40e driver from intel’s website (v2.25.9)
- Rebooting several times, hypervisor and guests

There are many different operating systems running as guests including Linux, FreeBSD and Windows, however OpenBSD is currently the only OS where this problem occurs.

I’m running the latest snapshot on my OpenBSD guests.
Related dmesg output:

iavf0 at pci6 dev 16 function 0 "Intel XL710/X710 VF" rev 0x02, VF version 1.1, VF 0 VSI 13, msix, address 58:47:ca:13:37:03
iavf0: CONFIG_VSI_QUEUES failed: -1
iavf0: queue op 9 failed: -1
iavf0: failed to shut down ringsiavf0: ADD/DEL_ETH_ADDR failed: -1
iavf0: ADD/DEL_ETH_ADDR failed: -1
iavf0: ADD/DEL_ETH_ADDR failed: -1
iavf0: ADD/DEL_ETH_ADDR failed: -1
iavf0: ADD/DEL_ETH_ADDR failed: -1