Hi,

I'm trying to get an idea about the next machine I'm going to purchase.
So far, I'm aiming at some Opteron box (AMD 270 HE Dual-Core CPU? - DC
series being claimed the only ones left having 940 sockets), possibly
with SATA drives this time. The vendor I asked so far suggested using
3ware controllers, but I think I remember seeing posts about both SATA
problems in general, and 3ware problems in particilar. I was perusing
Google and MARC to find some of them again. What I don't know if these
things have matured enough to be relied upon, and also I don't know if
this technology is good enough to rely on... or if this is only a new
way of selling overpriced crap.

If you have any recommendations about such a box, which should work as
a generic server (reliability and durability is more important than
speed or the last few Euros in price this time), I'll be glad to hear
them!

Thank you!

Best,
--Toni++