I'm using pax to generate archives of ZFS snapshots on a FreeBSD
machine, and restores may be accomplished under OpenBSD. I run both
operating systems, along with some Debian and OpenSUSE. It's not an
enormous amount of data, running about 350 GB.

Unfortunately, the FreeBSD pax command lacks the pax format supported by
OpenBSD. I'm backing up paths that exceed the limits of ustar, so I'm
looking at alternatives.

I realize I could just use the various versions of tar or cpio, but I
prefer the pax command line from a scripting standpoint. I was looking
at the sv4crc, or sv4cpio formats as an alternative that is supported by
both OpenBSD and FreeBSD.

Does anyone have anecdotes, or caveats to share about sv4crc and sv4cpio
pax formats?

The man pages on OpenBSD, and FreeBSD don't seem to indicate any
issues. I'm also doing some testing for my use case to make sure that
they work properly. I'm just curious to hear other experiences.

TIA,

                        --Bruce