On Thu, Sep 26, 2024 at 06:38:00AM +0200, Christian Schulte wrote:

> So I installed 7.5-stable on a VPS and that kernel panicked during
> installation
> several times. I then grabbed a 7.6-current image and installed the system
> using that. That kernel does not panic so I am running -current on that system
> since then. Checked out /usr/src, build the system from source using
> make build. Did cvs -q update -dP -A every now and then and just ran
> make followed by doas make install from time to time in the various
> directories.
> Accidentally ran make in /usr/src and got an unexpected Permission denied
> error. I would have expected to be able to run make in /usr/src without any
> permission issues. Is this a bug in the build system? There must be a way to
> build base incrementally without having to rebuild everything.
> $cd /usr/src && make currently stops with a Permission denied error I would
> not
> have expected to happen.
>

> build: atu-intersil-int: Permission denied
> *** Error 1 in sys/dev/microcode/atmel (Makefile:22 'atu-intersil-int')
> *** Error 2 in sys/dev/microcode (<bsd.subdir.mk>:48 'all': @for entry in afb
> atmel bnx cirruslogic fxp kue neomagic myx ral rsu rtwn rum  s...)
> *** Error 2 in sys (<bsd.subdir.mk>:48 'all': @for entry in dev/microcode
> arch/alpha arch/amd64 arch/arm64 arch/armv7  arch/hppa arch/i386 ...)
> *** Error 2 in /usr/src (<bsd.subdir.mk>:48 'all': @for entry in lib include
> bin libexec sbin usr.bin usr.sbin share games gnu sys; do  set ...)

1. Note that "make build" builds kernels and install images but does
not install them.

2. Did you follow the steps in the FAQ and release(5):
https://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq5.html? And no, it is not *always*
possible to build incrementally. Sometimes a clean build is needed.

3. You might want to consider not building from source, but install a
snapshot by running sysupgrade -s.

        -Otto