"Copyright law is complex, OpenBSD policy is simple - OpenBSD strives to
maintain the spirit of the original Berkeley Unix copyrights."

This is the first sentence of this page: http://www.openbsd.org/policy.html

Can't people see how ridiculous is all that talk about "why don't we change
the license"? It's written clearly: "strives", which means that being free
as
Berkeley Unix was is damn important to the project.

Besides, let's say that all of a sudden OpenSSH's license changes as has
been suggested by many. Any company and/or project could think "Well,
the new version has XXX license but the previous version is BSD! So, let's
just get the old code and fork it."

Read the OpenSSH history here: http://openssh.org/history.html

Whoo, these first sentences are really great: "OpenSSH is a derivative of
the original free ssh 1.2.12 release from Tatu Ylvnen."

Tatu changed the license and created... SSH.com! How ironic... why
wouldn't someone think to do just the same if OpenSSH's license changed?
Cut these threads, please, and let the devs code.

--

  Felipe Brant Scarel
  PATUX/OpenBSD Project Leader (http://www.patux.cic.unb.br)