On Tuesday 28 March 2006 14.09, Michael Schmidt wrote:
> Hello,
>
> did anyone setup helpful tricks in pf concerning passive ports for ftp?
>
> Why I am asking has the following reason:
> In general you have to open ports for incoming passive ftp requests on a
> wide range, but that4s a point I don4t like as I want to make life as
> hard as possible for intruders/hackers which may try "ah, let4s see
> what4s all open on that machine".
>
> So what I want to setup is pf and the ftp-daemon in that way that the
> ftp-daemon offers only a very small range of passive ports (or perhaps
> only one single passive port?) and that pf opens only the same small
> range of ports (or the same single port).
> As it would be the best to not reinvent the wheel I would like to know:
> Did anyone such a setup and could share ideas?
>
> Have a nice day
> Michael

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~#grep porthilast  /etc/sysctl.conf
net.inet.ip.porthilast=49191    # Gives a port range from 49152 to 49191

And then handle the above range for passive ports that are used by the ftpd.

/Per-Olov
--
GPG keyID: 4DB283CE
GPG fingerprint: 45E8 3D0E DE05 B714 D549 45BC CFB4 BBE9 4DB2 83CE