From: Adam [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 05 April 2006 01:14
To: Andrew Smith
Cc: misc@openbsd.org
Subject: Re: GNU license files rules replacement guidelines with BSD one

On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 00:15:02 +0100 "Andrew Smith"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> GPL cannot be revoked by the author and, what is more, a new version
> being classed as a 'derived work' would still under the terms of GPL
> be classed as GPL and the original author couldn't do anything about
> it.

Revoking is not involved here.  The copyright holder can do whatever he
or she wants with their code.  If I made something GPL, I can turn
around and make it BSD licensed, or close the source and not license
it at all, its up to me.  If you can still get your hands on the code
from when it was licensed under the GPL, then your copy is still under
the GPL, and you can do whatever the GPL allows.  But it has no impact
at all on future versions and how I choose to license them.

 - Linus faces this issue with future versions of Linux, he
> doesn't like GPL 3 and won't accept it but he can't take GPL 2 off
> Linux kernel since it is an evolving project and is derived from
> previous versions.

No, he can't take the GPL 2 off because hundreds of different people
own the copyright to GPL code in the kernel.  All of them would need to
agree to re-license it.

Adam