singlestep wrote on 04.10.2026 01:57:

I am interested in running OpenBSD 7.9 on a Raspberry Pi 5 Model B, booting *only*​ from an external USB SSD drive (no SD card in the device on an ongoing basis).

Through research and testing, it appears that the version of U-Boot (2025.07) that is included with the stock OpenBSD 7.9 install media can't see the USB controller, so it stops at the U-Boot> prompt.

It appears that the current recommendation is to use EDK2 UEFI firmware to get past the issue my question is if there is any plan to address this with an updated U-Boot in the stock media (OpenBSD 8.0, 8.1, etc.) so that it's unnecessary?

A few weeks back I tried with -current and USB is not supported in 2026.07. Searching through the internet for a few hours it seems U-Boot does not support it (yet).

As long as support is not in upstream U-Boot, I doubt it will be available in OpenBSD.

Reply via email to