On 10/6/26 16:13, Mike Larkin wrote:
On Tue, Oct 06, 2026 at 08:43:48AM -0700, Mike Larkin wrote:
On Tue, Oct 06, 2026 at 03:03:13PM +0000, brad wrote:
Hello,

I am experimenting with vmd on OpenBSD 7.9. I am able to create and run
OpenBSD VMs and I have networking enabled for those VMs. Everything works
fine.

However, I cannot get common Linux distros to install. I have tried Debian
and Alpine so far. Here are the steps I have taken:

1. vmctl create -s 50G alpine.qcow2

         vmctl: raw imagefile created

2. vmctl start -c -m 4G -L -i 1 -r alpine-virt-3.24.2-x86_64.iso -d
alpine.qcow2 alpine

         Connected to /dev/ttyp6 (speed 115200)
         Boot failed: not a bootable disk

         ISOLINUX 6.04 6.04-pre1 ETCD Copyright (C) 1994-2015 H. Peter Anvin
et al

         ISOLINUX 6.04 6.04-pre1  Copyright (C) 1994-2015 H. Peter Anvin et
al

I then see a blank screen. When I press enter I return to the host shell.
This error is logged in /var/log/messages:

         Oct  6 14:41:18 puffy vmd[78551]: vm/alpine: invalid fault_type 2

I've tried the Alpine Standard and the Alpine Virt iso files, neither work.
It's probably something simple. I appreciate any advice.

Brad


host dmesg required here.

this is likely due to the known issue in 7.9 and previous where later linux
kernels attempt to access some of the amd cpu provided mmio regions and 7.9
doesn't implement that.

we fixed this in 8.0 / -current, so you could either sysupgrade to the latest
snapshot, or you could remove #ifdef MMIO_NOTYET in 7.9 vmd source and rebuild.
I suggest the former, because you also would get all the other fixes we
committed to vmm/vmd recently.

Awesome. Thanks Mike. I'll upgrade to -current and try again. It's been years since I did that. I'm getting old and I like stable ;)

I'll let you know how that goes.

Brad

Reply via email to