Where do I find an bpf_filter.c in OpenBSD, or how is it generated?
or is there better way to compile /usr/lib/libpcap*?

In the latest src.tar.gz available via FTP, the file ./lib/libpcap/Makefile lists:

 SRCS=   pcap.c inet.c gencode.c optimize.c nametoaddr.c etherent.c \
         savefile.c bpf_filter.c bpf_image.c grammar.y scanner.l \
         pcap-bpf.c version.c fad-getad.c

... but there's no bpf_filter.c in the ./lib/libpcap directory. Because of this
dependency, libpcap won't compile.

It seems that I can get a little further along if I remove bpf_filter.c from SRCS,
but I wonder if that's the right thing to do.

I found the problem originally by trying to compile libpcap from source on a
3.8 release system with the src.tar.gz tarball that came with it. I downloaded src.tar.gz from current (updated just last night) just to see if it's still and issue.

--
Eric Ziegast