Dave Feustel wrote:

> On Sunday 09 April 2006 16:41, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > Something is very confused.
> > I do not believe an existing 'a' partition (dos).
>
> I bought the disk at Best Buy and copied a few files from
> /home/daf to test the disk. The files were copied to the
> usb-connected disk and stored in the fat file system already
> installed on the disk. I don't mind the fat file system on a usb flash
> disk, but I do mind a fat file system on a large usb hard drive.
> I wanted to replace the fat file system with default BSD
> partitions/filesystems. I though I could kill 2 birds with one stone
> by installing OpenBSD 3.9 on the usb drive. Maybe this is not possible
> with external usb drives. Until now I have had no experience with usb
> harddrives running with OpenBSD, hence my caution.
>
> Dave

I do not believe an existing 'a' partition (dos).
I do believe an existing dos partition,
which is something very different from an OpenBSD 'a' partition.

OpenBSD partitions are stored in an OpenBSD disklabel
Dos formatted disks do not have OpenBSD disklabels.

You can certainly install OpenBSD on the usb drive.
If your BIOS allows, you can even boot from it.

man fdisk               plays with DOS partitions
man disklabel   plays with OpenBSD partitions
They are NOT the same