Hi all,

I'd like to know why 'passwd' is located in /usr/bin, since this
command is very important for system maintenance purposes. Wouldn't it
be better 'passwd' being located in /bin? Because generally /usr has
its own partition, and then, when entering in single user mode for any
reason or even to recover root password we are to mount /usr partition
in order to run 'passwd'. I'm asking it because I've faced this
problem sometime ago. An OpenBSD server was installed by a sysadmin
that travelled as he had quit the job. Then when I assumed this
responsability (being a sysadmin) no one could tell me the superuser
password, because no one knew that information, thus I had to enter in
single user mode, but in order to run 'passwd' I had to mount /usr.

Thanks

--
Joco Salvatti
Undergraduating in Computer Science