So you say that the patch should go into OPENBSD_3_9 branch after 3.9
   is *officially* released? Well, I wonder how people who pre-orded
   their CDs, got them, installed 3.9-RELEASE and run Sendmail are going
   to patch their systems?

I got 3.8 almost 2 weeks early, and seem to remember applying -stable
that day, (though I don't believe there were needful security patches
at the time).  What I would have found unusual is to not have
security patches applied to the tree.  Just because upgrading via
CVS will most likely hose your system, doesn't mean that once
upgraded properly it shouldn't be available.  CDs went out almost
a month early this time around, which would have made for an
awkward situation, even with the manual patches available.