On Sat, Apr 15, 2006 at 12:22:00AM +0200, Alex Holst wrote:

> I'm trying to find supported GPRS/UMTS modems in stores around here,
> which is harder than you might think. According to i386.html, these two
> are supported:
> # Sony Ericsson GC75 GSM/GPRS modems
> # Sony Ericsson GC89 GSM/EGDE modems
> Thus far I've found a Sony Ericsson GC85 - anyone happen know if it's
> similar enough to one of the other two to be supported?

from what I've found on the net it seems like the GC85 is like the GC89
just without wifi. Beware that these cards (including the GC85)
are not UMTS capable. they do gsm/gprs and (gc85,gc89) edge.
while it's likely that the gc85 works (or just needs to be attached to
the proper com driver), it could also be that Sony Ericsson decided to
use completly different hardware for the gc85 (walk down to the
store with your OpenBSD laptop and try to convince the clerk to let
you insert it :)

UMTS cards that are known to work reliable are:

Novatel Merlin U530
Option GlobeTrotter 3G Fusion
Option GlobeTrotter 3G QUAD
Vodafone Mobile Connect 3G

also see ubsa(4) for the last three of these.

felix