On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 04:22:06PM +0200, Jasper Bal wrote:
> After nummerous advices on the list that I should upgrade, I decided to
> try remote upgrading.
>
> At the folowing step:
>
> Reboot on the new kernel: This might be a tempting step to skip, but it
> should be done now, as usually, the new kernel will run old userland
> apps (such as the soon to be important reboot!), but often a new
> userland will NOT work on the old kernel.
>
> something went wrong. I issued a reboot. And when the system came back
> up, SSH didn't recognize any of my passwords. All the services seem to
> be running though. I even have unchrooted access through FTP. I'm in
> wheel group but have no access as root with FTP. Already checked
> ftpusers, but root is hashed (yes, I know this is wrong). Either I
> forgot the password, or something has changed.
>
> Any hints? Did I do something wrong? Is there a fix? Or do I have to
> travel 400 km?

Is sendmail listening to incoming connections? If so, you might have a
chance to exploit it to gain (more/root) access. I can't help you here,
but securityfocus.com does claim to have a PoC:
http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/17192/info. No idea if it works,
though, and OpenBSD's security enhancements are unlikely to be very
helpful here. Of course, that's sort of the point...

The one other security problem is only useful if you can get scp to try
to work with strange filenames, and that's not very likely, is it?

Since you have syslog access (further upthread - via FTP, I presume),
what does the system say when you try to log in as root (over FTP? over
SSH?)?

                Joachim