On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 05:42:20PM +0200, Otto Moerbeek wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Apr 2006, Lars Weste wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > yes, i am running 3.8 -stable, and the backup has a higher advbase than
>
> err, for preemption to work, the advskew should be higher on the backup.
> At least, that is what carp(4) says.

Yes,

actually you should have have an identical advbase, but an
higher advskew on the backup.
If the master box looses one of its links, it bumps the advskew
to 240 so that the backup has a chance to take over all carp interfaces.

> > the master. Nevertheless, my problem doesn't seem to be the vlan
> > interface itself, it is just a general problem keep the interfaces in
> > sync, as ryan describes here:
> >
> > http://www.countersiege.com/doc/ifstated/

That document describes the carp behaviour at the time of 3.5.
Ever since then, it takes care for about that by itself.

> > so I am wondering whether I have to use ifstated, and to check all
> > interfaces, or whether there is some new feature, that will do the trick.

The latter.
Ifstated is useful for some more advanced monitoring or reporting cases.