Toni Mueller  wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Mon, 24.04.2006 at 15:30:55 -0400, Matthew Closson
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > [ wrong IP address ]
> > >What could that be, and why can't I see this address anywhere?
> > >
> > >I'd rather not reboot only to make a change in IP numbers effective...
>
> > Can you send us the output of "ifconfig ifname0" for example if
> you had an
> > fxp card then:
>
> unfortunately, I can't.
>

> But there were two IP addresse on there:
>
> The remaining, correct IPv4 address, and some IPv6 address. I've now
> also deleted that IPv6 address, but it's still no-go.
>
> > Also did you do this?
> >
> > ifconfig ifname delete inet alias aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd
>
> I did:
>
> ifconfig ifname inet aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd -alias
>
> and:
>
> ifconfig ifname inet aaa.bbb.ccc.eee
>
> which looks similar according to the manual. At least, the latter
> should overwrite any remnants of the original assignment.
>
> Trying to delete the already non-listed address yields:
>
> ifconfig: SIOCDIFADDR: Can't assign requested address
>

> I wasn't trying to delete an alias, but instead change the main address
> to the (former) alias, and then delete the original address.
>
> > route add default gw aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd
>
> What? The default gateway is already set, but to a quite different
> machine.

Uhhhhhhhh, bit outa my league, but seems like in order to get to
a gateway on another machine, you must first go through an interface
(ie gateway) on your own machine. At least there seems to be something
of that nature in any routing tables I've seen.
Most likely in order to go anywhere you must first go through your
non-existent IP address.
I think that default gateway makes more than one entry in the routing
tables.