> Instead of compiling a custom kernel, what is the best way (in Perl) to
> get the list of current processes?

I was going to suggest the Proc::ProcessTable module, but it looks like
it doesn't support OpenBSD, and looking at the code reveals it uses
/proc in most other OS it works on. :-(

> I have to scan the list every few seconds. A couple of years ago, I
> tried executing an external "ps", but found that it sometimes "freezed".
> I found the scanning of the "/proc" filesystem much more stable...

Perhaps a buffering issue?  Try setting $| to a true value, if you
haven't already done that.

--
Stephen Takacs   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>   http://perlguru.net/
    4149 FD56 D078 C988 9027  1EB4 04CC F80F 72CB 09DA