Thanks.

What do you mean by "more current tree"?

The CVS build? (e.g.: "-current" versus "-stable")

I tried updating directly from anoncvs.ca.openbsd.org this morning
still from the "-stable" branch and got the same stopper.

Keep in mind that the initial install was to a formatted drive on a
"clean" or "bare metal" workstation, so there wasn't any cruft from
a previous install of _anything_ (unless it survived a low-level
SATA format).

I'm bound to be missing something small-yet-vital, suggestions?

--
Ed V.

Adding manpower to a late software project makes it later. - Brook